A change of direction. My Spool Blocks were looking great and I was pleased with the ease with which they were coming together, but whilst procrastinating (over having to make another 50 Spool Blocks) I started to play around with a block which I could alternate the Spool Blocks with in the quilt layout.
And so that is how these nine-patch blocks came about. Now if only I had planned this from the start for then I would have made 6" finished Spool Blocks rather than 5" finished Spool Blocks, and I then therefore would not have needed to make 5" finished nine-patch blocks. The math was messy to say the least. But if nothing else, I am determined and pushed on regardless.
I am glad I did for it was worth it. I like how the addition of the nine-patch block has created a whole new look, how different shapes form depending on the light/dark color play. The quilt top is a riot of color, but I don't mind it, and rather reminded me of my Scrappy Trip Along Quilt as I was piecing it.
Now ready for basting, quilting and binding.
Spool Blocks ~ A Quilt in Progress
Spool and Nine Patch Quilt - TUTORIAL and templates