Not having previously worked with selvages I thought it wise to start with a small project, and a pillow cover is not only do-able but also practical.
I cut the selvages at varying widths so that small strips of the fabric would be visible, and overlapped the selvages in order to sew them together (top stitching on the right side). I then made a regular quilt sandwich (pillow top + low loft batting + backing fabric) and quilted by ditch stitching.
For the back of the pillow I have used a cotton/linen blend fabric by Melody Miller (from the now hard to find Ruby Star Shining collection). I did use a fusible interfacing (Pellon Decor Bond) to add firmness and make it feel more like a home decorator fabric. The pillow cover also has a zippered side seam for easy insert removal and cleaning. Simple zipper installation has finally been mastered!
I am signing off for a few days for a short Christmas break but plan to be back before the start of the new year, so from my family to you and your family ...
and Happy Holidays!
Enjoy time with family and friends
and perhaps squeeze in a little time for fabric play and sewing.