Ahh! A completed quilt top. This was indeed a whole lot of cutting and sewing but it is now all done. The individual blocks (16 blocks) were fun and relatively easy to sew with perhaps the most (mentally) time consuming part being fabric selection. There was much too to-ing and fro-ing and general indecision, but in the end it the colors all played together very well.
|No matter how much time I spend plucking threads there are always more ... |
I am sure this is a normal phenomenon.
I haven't worked with solid fabrics for what seems like the longest time. Solid fabrics bring such strong contrast to a design regardless of the color. And I love that there are now such great quality solids in just about any shade/hue. I have used Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton Solids - dipping once again into my Kona Bounty Boxes; it is rather handy to have on hand a great selection of solids fabrics.
My preferred "black" solid fabric is Kona Cotton - Pepper (of course :-). Pepper is a saturated dark, dark grey, and unless you have both Kona Black and Kona Pepper alongside one another you can easily mistake Pepper for Black. I have previously made a quilt with Kona Black as a contrast fabric as well as a quilt with Kona Pepper as a contrast fabric and I find Pepper is kinder to flecks of dust/threads. A personal preference only.
The blocks were not anywhere near as tricky to sew into a quilt top as I feared they might be - even with many of the seams not nesting and all edges being on the bias. Perhaps the bias edges were what made sewing the blocks together into a quilt top easier as I could very easily manipulate and "stretch" the edges into submission.