For all the ham, turkey and plum pudding, I couldn't find my knitting groove over the Christmas break. I so tried, and had to grit my teeth as I ripped the lace edge of my knitting project back to the body of the shawl, not once, but twice.
Instead the itch to sew was constant. So shortly after Christmas I gathered together my vintage sheet collection, whipped out the rotary cutter and not long thereafter the sewing machine whirred back into action.
The plan was to make a pair of patchwork curtains for the double window in the upstairs bedroom. Something so simple was soon complicated by a desire to line these curtains with a heavenly lightweight sheer cotton. Several hours was spent (read wasted) contemplating the lining, the layering, hemming, bias binding for edges, nifty ways to suspend the curtains, etc.
However, as soon as I had finished the first fully lined curtain, I didn't like the way it was hanging. The fabric had lost some of it's natural drape (probably because of my lack of experience working with sheer fabric). And so with seam ripper in hand, the patchwork fabric was taken back to it's basic state; just squares sewn together ~ no sheer lining, no pretty Liberty bias binding.
In fact, although both the sides of the curtains have been hemmed, the bottom edge is raw; let's call it organic, natural, edgy.
Once I was happy with the finish (or lack of finish) of the first curtain, the second took no time at all to complete.
I am rather pleased with my decorating efforts and have already measured up another window ready for a similar treatment.