I have received some requests for the instructions on how to make a template for a Mini Pinwheel Block.
This is how I made the template that I used:
Template instructions for a 3 inch finished mini pinwheel block:
1. Draw a rectangle measuring 2.5 inches x 2 inches.
2. Mark a line 7/8" in from the top left hand corner of the rectangle to 7/8" in from the bottom right hand corner of the rectangle. Like so:
3. Cut out the rectangle accurately. Cut across the diagonal line. This will give you two identical templates. These templates include all seam allowances.
4. Be sure to mark the right side of the template as UP.
5. You are now ready to start making pinwheels. I found the easiest way to do so is by cutting a 2 inch strip of fabric, and turning the template up and down as you cut along the fabric strip, but be sure not to flip your template upside down (ie the UP marked on your template is always visible to you).
For each pinwheel block you will need to cut 4 patches of a solid fabric and four of a printed fabric.
My seams were only a scant 1/4 inch. I then added a border to each pinwheel, using 1 inch strips of fabric. The sashing strips between each block are cut as 1.5 inch strips.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further instructions, or if what I have written here doesn't make sense you.