My sewing machine has gone into heavy duty use and is still quilting. This time it is the Gelati Log Cabin Quilt. This quilt top was professionally basted by a long arm machine quilter as it is quite a large top with a lot of seams. This is what a basted quilt looks like when it returns from the quilter:
You can just quilt over these basting lines. Once all the quilting is finished you can remove these big basting stitches quite quickly and easily.
I really do like the look of straight line quilting stitches, so that is what I have done on this quilt. First I quilted all the diagonal lines and then I outlined the sashing in between the blocks.
I also tried out a new thread. I normally like to use Gutermann 100% cotton thread for all my piecing and quilting, but this time I used Aurifil Mako thread in 40/2 weight. It is also 100% cotton but has quite a nice sheen to it. It does make for a lovely stitch, and I was also impressed with its strength.
I am now going to try and find some fabric for the binding. I find that getting the binding right can sometimes be the hardest part!
I hope to post the finished quilt soon and that you too get to do some sewing today!