This week I have attempted to recreate a vintage quilt - a rough hand drawn sketch of which has been in my journal since "before Pinterest" although a similar design can be seen pinned here.
Sometimes I feel the need to challenge myself a little with a more complicated design: doing the maths, working out the "best" way to go about piecing the units, and the direction to press seams. The "best" way for me in this instance means paper piecing, which isn't the fastest method, but it is the most accurate. And accuracy is important if I want to sew together these blocks into a quilt top without frustration. (Only the units with red solid/polka dot fabric have been paper pieced).
At this stage I have finished piecing these 9 blocks - as pictured, and have all of the units ready to piece another 7 blocks. I am glad that prior to commencing this project I spent some time working through the patchwork piecing process with a trail block, although I was still surprised by how much fabric was required to complete all of the blocks. Paper piecing is rather wasteful of fabric (particularly as I was being mindful of the fabric grain and the orientation of the polka dot fabric).
Thank you for stopping by,
ps If you should happen to know the name of this traditional block please be sure to let me know.
Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in Coral